If you search the best supplements for weight loss, you will find lots of contradictory information.[bctt tweet=”The weight loss industry is a 60 billion dollars industry and many of the articles on the Internet are researched, well, on the Internet.”]
The authors pick and choose the info that makes sense to them. Most are well-intentioned, don’t get me wrong. And to some extent, I am doing the same thing. I am researching the vast sea of information out there.
Combining Research and Experience
So how is this post different? It is based on research AND experience. I have tried many supplements of all kinds of brands over the last 20 years. I have found some to be helpful and some not so much. In this post, I will not only reveal which supplements made a difference for me, but I will also link to the research that exists to support their effectiveness.
Best Supplements in my Experience
In this section, I will share what supplements have made a difference in my life. In fact, I have tried to go without them because that’s what I do, I experiment. However, I quickly found that going without them had a negative impact on my health. I will share my experience as well as the science behind it because we are all unique and your experience might be different.
Five Supplements for Weight Loss and Inflammation
As I mentioned before, I did not always struggle with weight loss. The problem for me arose later in life and was connected with my hormones and inflammation in my body. This connection is usually true for all of us, even those who struggle with maintaining a healthy weight at a very young age. That’s why when thinking weight loss, you need to look at the root cause of the issue. These five supplements do just that:
- Chromium: It’s no coincidence that I am giving chromium the number one place in my top five supplements for weight loss. I had struggled with sugar cravings and yeast infections all my life, but adding this mineral to my supplement regimen made a huge difference. I noticed a decrease in my cravings right away and I have been yeast free ever since. It shouldn’t come as a surprise since chromium picolinate has been used to treat diabetes. It helps the hormone insulin balance your whole body and alleviates insulin resistance. And guess what? Reducing your cravings and regulating your insulin levels will help you lose weight.
- Magnesium: Magnesium is certainly not the first supplement I would think about for weight loss purposes. I started taking it when I was struggling with frequent and debilitating headaches, and that’s why I kept taking it at first. Headaches are now a thing of the past for me. When I started struggling with my weight, I noticed that not taking magnesium compounded the problem for me. What I learned is that magnesium is also helpful in controlling insulin and glucose blood level. Not only that, but it helps with bloating and water retention.
- Omega-3: I use a plant-based form of Omega-3 from Chia Seeds. Although we lack scientific studies to establish a connection between Omega-3 and weight loss, there is no doubt that Omega-3 reduces inflammation. Since inflammation causes weight gain and weight loss resistance, supplementing with Omega-3 is just a smart thing to do. If you would like to learn more about inflammation and weight loss resistance, read this informative post by Dr. Mark Hyman. An added bonus is that the fiber in my Chia seed blend keeps you feeling full and satisfied. Nothing has reduced my cravings to this degree, including my beloved chromium.
- Chlorogenic Acid: Chlorogenic acid is a compound from coffee, but it does not contain caffeine. It’s an antioxidant that slows the release of glucose in the bloodstream.
- Amino acids: I have been using an amino acid blend that is very promising. And it’s not just me, if you look it up, you will find studies to support it. Check this particular one if you want to learn more. The reason behind their effectiveness might be that they increase muscle metabolism.
The last two supplements on this list are included in one product I take and that helps me sleep better. As I approach perimenopause, I tend to suffer from insomnia. When I don’t take this product, I don’t sleep well, when I do, the difference is incredible! As far as weight loss goes, they do help reduce cravings as well.
3 Supplements to Try for Weight Loss
Although the list above has changed my life and my health in many ways, as I am aging, I am noticing that I tend to hold on to gain weight more easily and I know it is hormone-related. I have been some research, and I am planning to try three new supplements for weight loss. I will keep you posted on the results. I feel that I have my cravings and the inflammation in my body are under control with the products I am using already. However, what I am looking for is hormonal support.
- Rhodiola: I first heard of this adaptogenic herb through Sara Gottfried about 2 years ago. I am not sure where exactly, an interview or in one of her books. Recently, as I was looking into supporting my thyroid, I found that Isabella Wentz recommends a supplement that includes it as one of the main ingredients. I also discovered other brands of supplements to support the thyroid included this herb. I am looking forward to trying it for myself.
- L-Tyrosine: L-Tyrosine is an amino acid. It is used to improve memory and alertness. The thyroid combines L-Tyrosine and iodine to produce thyroid hormone. You might think the third supplement on this list would be iodine, but not yet. I learned in Isabella Wentz’s book that iodine supplementation is not always a wise choice. I will have to research it more.
- Conjugated Lineoic Acid (CLA): I found a research document that studied the effects of CLA specifically for post-menopausal women. Estrogen deficiency often contributes to abdominal fat accumulation. The results suggested an improvement in body mass index during the last 8 weeks of a 16 weeks diet program (patience is the name of the game, we are not looking for a miracle cure!). I found a product that not only contains CLA but also collagen. Collagen improves your skin, bones and muscle structures. It even helps improve gut health by building the tissue that lines the gastrointestinal walls.
If you have been looking for great weight loss supplements that will reduce inflammation, improve your sleep and help you feel great, contact me, I will share some more info with you.