This vegan and Paleo cashew yogurt recipe is made in this Instant Pot without a yogurt button. It’s simple, easy, and delicious! It will save you money on your grocery bill and will nourish your gut much more effectively than its store-bought counterpart. I make it with probiotic capsules, and you can rest assured, it works! I have made too many times to count with all kinds of different brands of probiotic capsules.
Cashew Yogurt Benefits
Yogurt is so versatile! We use it in main course recipes, desserts, smoothies, and on its own. The problem is, it has dairy. Cashew yogurt is an excellent alternative to regular yogurt. Furthermore, it’s a tasty fermented food than will nourish your gut. Learn about the top foods to eat to heal your gut in the post Most Healing Foods for the Gut.
Here are some of the many benefits that you will love about cashew yogurt:
- It’s easy to make.
- It’s delicious and versatile.
- It supports a healthy gut.
- It’s an excellent dairy-free alternative.
- It’s nutritious
Cashew Yogurt Nutrition
How nutritious is cashew yogurt exactly? Since cashew yogurt is simply made with cashews, water, and the probiotic powder, all its nutrition comes from the cashews. Cashews are an excellent source of healthy fats. A 28.35 grams portion contains 12.43 grams (1 ounce or 18 cashews) of fat. Cashews are a good source of plant-based protein, fiber, iron, magnesium, phosphorus, and potassium.
How to Make Cashew Yogurt
Now, let’s get to it! How do you make cashew yogurt in the Instant Pot without a yogurt button? Easy peasy!
Cashew Yogurt Recipe
- Electric Pressure Cooker
- 2 cups raw cashews
- 4 cups water
- 2 tsp agar powder or gelatin
- 1 tbsp maple syrup or honey
- 4 probiotic capsules
- Blend the cashew and the water in a high powered blender. No need to soak the cashews.
- Add in the agar powder and the sweetener, blend again for a few seconds.
- Pour the mixture in your Instant Pot.
- Warm it up using the Keep Warm function. It will take about 30 minutes. Alternatively, you could do it faster on the stovetop or in the Instant Pot using the Sauté function. You want the temperature to reach 110-115F. I don't use a thermometer, I just feel it. It should feel slightly warmer than body temperature.
- Add your probiotic capsules. Four capsules should be enough.
- Turn off your Instant Pot, unplug it, and wrap it in a towel.
- Keep it wrapped for 24 hours.
- Unwrap and pour the yogurt in a Mason Jar.
Cultured Cashew Yogurt
Store-bought cashew yogurt brands usually have guar gum or some other kind of gum. They cost a lot of money and they are not fermented long enough. Now, you can make your own cultured yogurt at home, using any kind of vegan milk you want.
Instant Pot Cashew Yogurt
The Instant Pot recipe is easy and delicious. If you are lucky enough to have the yogurt button, the process will be even simpler. If like me, you don’t, wrapping the Instant Pot in a towel works, but you don’t have as much control over the exact temperature for the fermentation process. Another option that works really well is to use the Excalibur dehydrator.
Dehydrator Cashew Yogurt
The Excalibur dehydrator is perfect for making yogurt because you can remove the trays and it becomes a box. You can control the temperature and put anything you want in there. I usually warm up the yogurt on the stovetop, put it in Mason jars and keep them in the 110-115F range in the dehydrator. Perfect, foolproof results every time! I have seen vegan yogurt recipes that ferment the yogurt at a temperature around 80F. Apparently, it works! I started making yogurt years ago with regular milk and always have kept my temperature around 115F. The Excalibur setting for yogurt is 115F as well.
Five Recipes Using Cashew Yogurt
Basically, you can use your cashew yogurt in any recipe that calls for regular yogurt. Let me share a few of my favorite recipes.
1. Fruit and Yogurt Smoothie
You got to love a good yogurt and fruit smoothie! Try this one:
- 1 cup frozen mixed berries
- 3/4 cup cashew yogurt
- 1 banana
- 1 orange
- 1 cup water or non-dairy milk (read 3 Easy Nut Milk Recipes)
- Green powder
Blend all the ingredients in a blender until smooth. For more great smoothie recipes, download my free 7 Detox Smoothie Recipes ebook.
2. Chicken Curry
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 2-inch piece ginger, peeled, finely grated
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- Himalayan salt to taste
- 1 tablespoon garam masala
- 1 bay leaf
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 28-ounce can whole peeled tomatoes
- 1 15-ounce can coconut milk
- 3 skinless, boneless chicken breasts (about 1½ pounds total), cut into 1-inch-thick pieces
- ½ cup cashew yogurt
- ½ cup coarsely chopped cilantro
- Cook the onion in coconut oil until translucent. Mix in the ginger, garlic, salt, and garam masala.
- Add the chicken and cook until almost done.
- Add the rest of the ingredients except for the yogurt and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Stir the yogurt in and serve.
3. Breakfast Yogurt Bowl
When people adopt the Paleo Diet, they always ask what to eat for breakfast. My Quick Paleo Breakfast Your Kids Can Make post is a good place to start, but I am loving the idea to make yogurt bowls for breakfast.
There are three main components to a delicious and nutritious yogurt bowl: protein, fruit, and sweetener. The protein will come in the form of nuts and seeds like chia, flax, pecans, walnuts, almonds, etc. Nut butter would be another tasty addition. If you have Paleo or gluten-free granola, that would be an excellent option as well. Use fresh berries, apples, peaches, pears, melon, or whatever fruit you have on hand. As a sweetener, I recommend honey, maple syrup, or stevia. You could also use dried fruit.
4. Tangy Guacamole
- 2 avocadoes
- 1/2 cup cashew yogurt
- 1/4 cup red onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 cilantro
- Juice of one lime
- 1/2 tsp salt
Mix all the ingredients together and enjoy!
5. Paleo Yogurt Cake
What is more fitting than yogurt cake in this list of foods made with yogurt? This Lemon Yoghurt Cake (Grain Free) recipe has lemon in it to give it a tang and it looks delicious!
Cashew Yogurt Recipe Video
That’s all the info I wanted to share! Watch the video if you would like to see how I make this cashew yogurt recipe.